Lewisham Council dont have a clue



I wanted to go online and was handed this:

Great if you’re on Facebook or Twitter, but hang on, what's this new icon I have never seen before?
Do any of you know what that means? I am not writing this for my benefit because believe me it’s for all of you.
One day you will all be old and become invisible, just like me. I was offered the chance to go and talk about becoming a digital champion for said Council but when you are ten minutes early as you should be if you consider anything important, and the person you’re supposed to be meeting hasn’t even rocked up yet and arrives 15 minutes after you, that winds me up.
There are two kids sat behind the reception desk. One on the phone, and I said I had come to see so and so and he wheeled his chair over to the other antique monitor bolted to a pole, to look at the same website you get at home. He then rolled back and rang the extension number. 
Now I am here to meet someone championing what is being done “How do you send an email?” “How do you search for stuff?” I open Google and type. I don’t I teach old people to take hold of things and make it simple, I tell my computer what I'm looking for or tap my mouse twice. I said this isn't for my benefit but it is in a way.
My eyes are starting to fail and if I don’t write this down it’s lost forever. I make the most of everything I see and hear. I love taking photos and listening to music. And I hate to think that one day soon I will not be able to do those things. I have two cats who are the one thing that help me get up in the morning and I hate that they will be taken from me as I am put in a home somewhere destined to spend the rest of my life playing bingo and sitting in a day room listening to Countdown coming out of a crappy speaker on the back of the telly. But that’s what it’s like for old people now.
The people who run these places don’t know, the Council don’t care and we are all left to suffer the consequences. The libraries are all run by volunteers now and doing a great job.  How many libraries have you been in and see rows of old computers? When you’re old they won’t be there.  There have been so many cut backs and so many things privatised is it any wonder we have ended up where we are?
Lewisham Council use Windows XP in their reception area for god’s sake. The library across the road uses ‘95 so if you think I am ranting on and if you don’t understand computers well good for you. Let’s see where you are ten years from now when you try to ask a question or have a problem. Lewisham Council share their IT with Brent Council, run by old men who know what they know and are quite content to sit back and let everyone working there trundle along doing their jobs on an antiquated system, and when you’re old and things are just the same you will remember this blog and think “F@#k, he wasn’t an idiot after all”.
Because I care what happens to these people that are being swept under the carpet and forgotten about me included. If you want me to lose my rag and start naming names I will but for now let me tell you a little story about how this whole thing came about.
A couple of Sundays ago I posted a comment on the local Facecrap page, naming no names, and the admin invited me round to discuss it. I did and was encouraged to start writing this blog so I did, thinking they really cared. At first it got a few reads and I was happier than I had been for a long time.
It’s like I was invited for an audience. It’s over now. I've done my bit, we don’t want to know. The truth hurts but it’s true. I for instance I had to ask someone else to add me to said page as the admin now refuses to acknowledge my existence. Doesn’t answer or look at messages, and because I try to point out things that will affect all of you when you’re older, I am ignored. 
I am going to get even more brutally honest now, and a lot of people living near me and who know me won’t like it but I will never know as only a handful have even looked at the blog and to this day there has been no feedback from them, anger at the system or at me. So in the modern digital world if you've got money you carry on wasting it on cake and coffee sitting there glued to your ‘phones. I feel excluded, let down and really angry. REALLY ANGRY.
So here's my message right here. Enjoy your sham street party the only day you speak to your neighbours. Enjoy your nights out at the Rivoli supporting asylum seekers. When you’re old and if you still live here and the so called middle class ignore you because they don’t understand or have no interest whatsoever show them this. They won’t read it but at least you tried.

Anyone who comes from outside London will say to you, if you do speak to them, it’s weird to sit on a Tube in silence. Is that what we have become people? Say hello to someone. Strike up a conversation and find out what's really going on in your neighbourhood. The only reason most people talk to me is because I have a big white cat that they pat on their way home with their ready meals for one. Back home after a hard day’s latte.
The meeting today didn’t end well but that’s because they have no idea. I make the effort now as I am forced by the same Council to walk everywhere. Even though I am disabled there's no blue badge for me and as for getting a mobility car that’s gone out of the window completely. All because the system uses outdated old computers, using outdated old software being used by outdated old people.
So there ya go, still think I am going on about nothing. One day you will be old.  And on that note Happy Birthday Windows ‘95 still being used today. But that was two years ago now . When you get old this is what happens to you.  You disappear. People don’t want to know you because you have outspoken views and they think you’re a nutter - he shouts a lot and gets angry. I think I have every right to be angry about a world that is run by older people who we elect who have no idea what’s going on.
Sean Ryan
98 Brockley Grove London SE4 1EQ 
07482 988 316

Comments

Unknown said…
I totally agree the country is run by the wrong people with the wrong equipment helping the wrong people all the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and the older and disabled people just pushed to one side a lot more people need to speak up well done Mr Ryan
SeanRyan7 said…
Thanks mate you as well as anyone knows what its like. The pain and suffering you have been through with your sons disability ignored by the teachers in the schools. Detention they thought being the cure.
Unknown said…
So true I had a phone call on Thursday from his school saying that he was in an altercation with another boy the boy was given a 1 day internal detention for trying to strangle him when he came home I asked him what it was about he told me that the kid called him a fat autistic c**t this I coming from a 12 year old it begs the question on the parenting skills of these kids
Unknown said…
Sean - keep writing. Yours is an important voice, and the anger is perfectly reasonable. I can't promise to read or respond to everything but the insights you offer are great.

Popular posts from this blog

Defenition of Society