Don't let the bastards get you down
9 May 2017

There is a line from The Shawshank Redemption “Get busy living or get busy dying”. I tried to explain what it’s like to be caught in the system yesterday. A never ending barrage of abuse and ignorance from ATOS and the DWP. You have to be so strong willed to get through it all and they rely on people giving up.
The more I read about how the system is destroying peoples’ lives and the amount of deaths I am sickened. I would like to see any of the MPs in charge live on £100 a week in London. The sanctions imposed by the Job Centre cut that in half, and as they don’t send letters anymore, you only find out when you go to get money from the bank. You then have to give them proof as to why you didn’t turn up.
I read the other day of a woman who had her £8,000 mobility car taken away and then offered £46,000 in taxi fares so she can continue working part time. Another had her car taken away after yet another assessment. She has chronic asthma and diabetes and cannot walk very far and last year had her left leg amputated. She now has to go through the court to appeal. Having done this twice myself I know how she feels. They say without even seeing her face to face she can walk 20m without pain. When you read stuff like that it just makes you think “what chance have I got?”.
I have chosen not to get depressed this time round. I intend to play them at their own game. They will turn me down. I already know that. But this time I am going prepared. I have all the court papers and letters going back 5 years. The decision letters from the court clearly state I have a permanent degenerative disease. It’s not the flu and it bloody hurts. I shouldn’t have to put on an act to get the money I am entitled to.
I now teach old people how to use computers and tablets, making their phones easier to use and making things as easy as possible. I love it. The group is 25 strong and each of them make me smile every week. By passing on some of the skills I've learnt over the years it’s given me a new outlook on life.
A few years ago I wanted to kill myself.  I was really depressed and I didn’t know what to do. I had been battling with DWP and I had enough. Lucky for me I had friends around me and they got me out and brightened my mood. I decided to get off my backside and go and help others.
I have been doing my research going round seeing what's on offer and again am shocked. I was always taught keep it simple stupid. The easier you make things the easier it becomes. Remember at school learning the times tables? Repetition. Just try this little trick: plug your laptop into your telly, close the lid and just use the mouse. That is all you need really. Setting up a computer to make it as easy as it can be and sit back and watch your gran after a couple of days. They get it. I have tried this on many people now and they love it. I thought of a great name: ‘ITs Easy’. I contacted the local community centre and off I went.
Getting out and doing other things is so important. I'm lucky ITV studios isn't far away so I take some of them to watch QI being recorded. Tomorrow we are off to see Jimmy Carr and Kathrine Ryan.
The best cure in the world in my opinion is laughter. Having to deal with all the crap just brings me down. So I'm getting busy living, thank you very much. The waiting is the hardest part.  The system will never bring me down. I just look at it now as a nice bonus at the end of the year.
Sean Ryan
98 Brockley Grove London SE4 1EQ 
07482 988 316

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defenition of Society

Lewisham Council dont have a clue