A Picture paints a thousand words



I went for a stagger in the local park the other night, I make the effort to get out as much as I can these days especially when the weathers so nice, and my new found passion photography is a great way to meet people and chat about everyday things

 I live in London and its not the norm to go round speaking to others you do get some strange looks. "Why is this man speaking to me?" is the usual puzzled expression you can see on peoples faces when you say hello.

 I make the effort to talk to everyone, disabled people especially. It doesn’t matter what race, colour or religion you are in my mind we are all equal. A quick hello doesn’t cost anything and brings a smile to their faces and you should really try it.

 The last time people spoke to each other on buses, tubes and trains in London to my memory was 2012 when a lot of Londoners had left the capitol because of the Olympic games. It was a joy to see so many happy people and have pleasant conversations as we headed off to work or Stratford to see Mo.

 I met a lovely couple in the park on my stagger and we spent an hour chatting as their daughter happily played on the grass, and giggled as she climbed onto the park bench all by herself. We laughed and smiled and had a great time, and I took a few photo's and sent them to the couple when I got home.

 One of those shots is below. Amy is 23 years old and her partner Liam are not the usual young couple, too busy to talk headphones on. Glued to their I phones.   Their daughter Scarlett is one. and they have another son Dante who is two and a half who was safely tucked up in bed at home with grand dad looking after him. After a hard day building Lego and chasing his mates round the playground at nursery.

We chatted about a lot of things but the one thing that bonds us together is disability.

Now you might think the picture is beautiful. I love this shot but it makes me cry and it makes me angry. Amy said something as we sat together, "there is always someone worse of than you"
Never a truer word spoken. Amy suffers with Diabetes  after the birth of Dante, Amy went completely blind. She will never see the smiles on Scarlett's face or see her first steps. Never see her blow out the candles on her birthday cakes or the first day of school.

 As you read this and if you’re a parent can you imagine what that must be like? Never to see your children having to live in complete darkness every day.

 My disability is nothing compared to hers and I have nothing but admiration and respect for both parents. A young couple who love each other deeply and their children who sadly not only have to deal with all that. Then have to face the same crap I do on a daily basis from the job centre.

They asked her when she was going to get better so she can go back to work for Gods sake. She spent over a year waiting for her benefits to be sorted and still has to be reassessed after three years to see if there is any improvement.

 Registered blind means just that unless you work for the DWP. Austerity measures imposed by the government are ruining peoples lives and a system that is proved time and time again that is failing is still being used today. 65% of people turned down for PIP have it overturned by appeal


 I know I have had to do it twice and am just about to go through it all again, when I can afford to put more credit on my phone. Premium rate when you want to apply is just another way of grinding you down.




  I know people with no legs who go through the same thing, People with degrees who cannot walk, forced to live in tiny first floor flats. Abuse shouted at them in the street because they are in a wheelchair or have a white stick. Amy is one of those people . she has lost her confidence and doesn’t go out much anymore.

Liam was telling me about a man in a wheel chair who was trying to get on a bus the other day, two women with pushchairs refusing to move, ignoring him as he came up the ramp towards them. A man upstairs heard all the abuse being thrown at him when he asked them if they could make room and came down the stairs and folded one of the pushchairs up. People need to stop treating the disabled with contempt. It doesn’t matter who you are we are all the same.

I for one have changed my attitude and a few people I used to know who aren't my friends anymore should learn that lesson for themselves.

Have a great day smile and be happy and be nice to everyone







.




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defenition of Society

Lewisham Council dont have a clue